MAINTAINING JOY AND PEACE THROUGH TOUGH PHASES
We all at times go through difficult phases in our lives, it can be planetary, circumstantial or even environmental like right now. Whatever brings about this phase in your life it seems like an uphill battle. Sometimes each day feels the same and you feel it’s going very slow. Like they say good days get spent fast but bad ones seem never ending. Also, another sign is when we are going through this phase, we feel things are never going to change, well, it’s not true. We all know change is inevitable. So, since I am a pro at dealing with tough phases (Universe, are you listening? lol), let me share with you how you can maintain joy and peace through this phases. Afterall it’s my Dharma to share how I did it and How I made use of whatever cards I was dealt with. These things will help you in any tough phase if you wish to follow them:
– Shift your focus on others: -When you shift your focus on others, your own misery fades away in the background. You don’t have to become a big social worker, just help you family, like in this second wave I am just helping my mom declutter. Just make meals for others or feed animals or seek people who are alone and talk to them. A small step towards being a better human will bring a lot of positive change in your life. Do anything you can.
– Keep yourself productively engaged: – Make lists of things that you can do in a day. When you finish that list, you will feel accomplished. Again, it’s you list, so it can be brushing your hair, cleaning a drawer. And no Netflix is not a productive engagement. Do things what have been pending for some time, they make your feel super like I am repurposing my old clothes.
– Don’t forget to have fun: – We need to have fun as a species, talk to a friend, laugh, dance, sing. Keep half an hour of fun on the list. Do not get super ambitious and think having yoga is fun, or meditating is fun. It is alright if you only want to have sour patch candy someday and you think that is fun (yes that is me, I love sour patch)
– Do something creative: – You don’t have to be really good at it, but try something like writing, make a gratitude journal, painting, gardening. Do not put pressure on yourself just because others are doing it. My favorite hobby is taking naps and my whole family laughs about it how much I love sleeping. So, there is no race of accomplishment during such times or anytime actually.
– Self-care: – it might sound cliché but selfcare goes a long way during such times. It can be anything from slowly sipping rose tea to doing a pedicure at home. Me personally have invented a series of face masks and ubtans for myself, most of them are disastrous. Hehe but I take selfcare very seriously. Yoga, stretching, napping, long showers all come under this category. Just relax. If you do not have time to do anything, just breathe. Breathing properly is also selfcare. But I recommend doing one activity that involves selfcare every day. Put in on the list.
– Learn New things: – If you feel you have a lot of time at yours hands, you can learn new things. Again take baby steps and do it without any pressure. Do not do major goal-oriented things unless you can handle it. Start Small.
– Spend time with Animals, children and plants: – Animals are super healing and they can be a great companion during any such phase but it’s a lifelong commitment, so make sure you are ready for that. As for me I love them a lot, so any time spent with them is good time for me. Children are born healers as are plants, so if you can spend some time with them.
– Move your body: – It is important to move your body sufficiently during any tough phase, the more you move your body, the better it will be. Any time you can exercise is a good time to exercise, so stop with the excuses and get moving. You need all those happy hormones and more.
– Still your mind: – try not to overthink or get hassled. Try meditation or pranayama or anything to still your mind. It’s not necessary to meditate, its necessary to do something that is meditative for you.e.g., for me its painting, for you it can be music. But important to give your mind the much-needed break, however you choose to do it.
Most of you must be already doing these things and must be aware of them already. If this feels like a lot, do one or two every day. I just wanted to share something that is helpful at this point. Spread lots of love as love is the opposite of fear.